Friday, January 1, 2010

Under The Blue Moon and Gumbo Baby


Happy New Year! Don't you wish you had a dollar for every time someone has said that to you in the last 24 hours? Last night, with the kiddoe in Texas and Dustin at work, I found myself free and able to ring in the new year New Orleans style. Our friendly neighbor, Laura, invited me to tag along with her and a few friends.
Before starting my wild night, I ran to Slice on Magazine (their new second location) and picked up a Gorgonzola and prosciutto pizza with caramelized onions and roasted red peppers. It was fabulous, I didn't even mind paying $28 dollars for it.
Once Dustin was on his way, I started getting ready for the evening. After a stop at Walgreens for Redbull, she and I headed to the Quarter. We parked in the Marigny (mare-in-yee, but it's mostly just pronounced mare-ny) to avoid all the mayhem in the Quarter, where it would have been nearly impossible to find a parking space, anyway. Some friends of hers parked there as well, and we headed to Check Point Charlie's to use the Ladies room. It seemed like a cool place to have a drink and listen to live, bluesy music. They told me the clientele is sometimes a bit shady, but it looked to me like good people watching. After wading our way through the crowded sidewalks of Decatur we switched to Chartres (charters) Street and came to The Chart Room where we met with more friends. It's a great place to have cheap drinks a little way away from the hulabaloo on Bourbon and the ladies room is relatively clean, even if the walls look like they were taken from an old barn and are covered in all manner of interesting water closet graffiti. It has a lot of character, as so many of the bars around here do, and a good jukebox (and that was Roy Orbison, bar stool-music-arguing-man). It could have been because they were so busy, but the bartender stiffed me a 5. Other than that is was a lot of fun. Three of us girls even went in on a bottle of champagne. When in Rome, right? After deciding we just absolutely had to have NYE tiaras, we walked to Decatur and bought some (at $10 a piece), then returned to the Chart House to enjoy our new head wear.

When we'd had a few cocktails (and disagreed about whether the item being dropped from the roof of the Jax Brewery at midnight was a baby or a bowl of gumbo- we compromised and henceforth referred to the object as the gumbo baby) we left for a rooftop party being held in the Central Business District. We walked to Canal and took a cab. After punching in the code we took the elevator up to his apartment, another ladies room trip, and then up to the rooftop. I felt quite cosmopolitan indeed. The views were amazing, simply amazing! There were plenty of trendy people mingling about to complete the picture. I can't say how long we were there, but we stayed until midnight (how I managed to miss the fireworks at the river, I can only imagine! I was considerably bummed). Then we walked down the street to Lucy's where we stayed for a good while. It was completely packed but the energy was great. Lots of dancing and drinks to go around.

After bidding farewell to the rest of the group, Laura and I started what seemed like our 27 mile trek back to the car. I wanted to take a cab, wearing boots the entire evening, but she said we could do it. She was quite determined and I blame her for my foot discomfort today. (Love ya, hun!) We stopped in at Cafe Du Monde for beignets, milk and cafe au lait. I dropped a few dollars beside my chair, didn't realize I was sitting on the edge, and mortifyingly proceeded to fall to the ground. Seriously, that's why I fell, although my equilibrium may have been otherwise compromised.

I've never been so glad to get back to a car in my entire life. Despite the walk I had a wonderful time, met some cool people and had fun. Maybe there's something to that whole Blue Moon thing.

1 comment: