Monday, January 4, 2010

Napoleon Couldn't Make It, Please Pass The Cheese


After running errands all over the city, we decided to drive around the lower section of the Quarter in search of oysters (as we figured Acme Oyster House and Maspero's would probably be busy as usual). We stumbled upon the Napoleon House (which, if you'll recall, we were unable to find some weeks back). I was thrilled. Especially since we were able to park right across the street, which never happens. Ever. The inside is delightfully dark and old, as it very well should be, having been around since the 1700's. The original owner, Nicholas Girod, fancied it up and offered it to Napoleon as a place of refuge. He was killed before he could make it, but that's no reason to be down. It makes a great cafe. They have an old mirrored bar in the first room, where they serve drinks and coffees (cappuccino, etc). There are three dinning areas, and a courtyard (which was blocked by covers due to the cold). There was a beautiful staircase in the back on the way to the bathroom. I'd have loved to have gone up and checked out what was on the second story. Maybe next time. I can always say I was looking for the ladies room.

This place has a great little selection of appetizers, not much you'd find in a usual lunch spot. We had the cheese board to start. If my mouse-like cheese tasting abilities haven't forsaken me, it was mild cheddar, swiss, gouda, havarti with dill, pepper jack and a semi-soft, red-rind cheese I couldn't quite put my finger on (hey, who said mice were the foremost authority on cheese, anyway?...). All in little tasting portions, with a basket of what appeared to be randomly chosen toasts and a tiny loaf of french bread. It was all very cute. I thought at first glance it was too little, but it really was just right for us three. Dustin ordered the half muffaletta, which he enjoyed; I ordered the small insalata mista jardiniere, a nice little salad with yummy balsamic-dijon dressing; Shelby and I also shared a Greco-style panini focaccia- a eggplant, roasted red bell peppers and goat cheese, squeezed in a sandwich press until nice and crusty. The bread wasn't anything spectacular, but the filling was great. I was quite proud of Shelby for enjoying it, chevre, peppers and all. The salad came with a rye roll and the sandwich with a side of these great little mild pickled peppers. All the taste without the searing heat, I'm in! They're apperantly famous for their Pimm's Cup, but Dustin had to work later and I didn't want to be cruel. Maybe next time.

The prices were great, which you know I'm all about. Dustin and I plan to return one night for a date, sampling all the yummy appetizer offerings, sharing a bottle of wine (they have bottles starting at $15 and half bottles starting at $10) and trying some of the pastries and desserts they offer.

Good prices plus delish food plus great, old atmosphere, I highly recommend giving this place a try.

While they aren't museum quality, I think I've mastered taking pictures with my phone and getting them to the Internet. Follow the NewInNola Facebook page for pictures I couldn't fit here!

No comments:

Post a Comment