Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Accidental Night Out

With Shelby making the grandparent rounds in Texas, and me pretty much over my blasted cold, Dustin and I took advantage of his only night off in a while and got out of the house. We drove around a bit, as you know we love to do, and went for sushi. Sushi Brother's was closed, so we parked in their parking lot again anyway and went to Hoshun. During happy hour, beer, sake and some wines are two-for-one, so we had some Blue Moon with our Linner (you know, like brunch, except between lunch and dinner). We ordered their yummy miso soup and the rangoons. Theirs are crawfish as well as crab and come perfectly stacked on a little puddle of a lightly spicy orange sauce. They were the best rangoons I've ever had (and I've had a lot!). Then we got our sushi: I had the Uptown roll and the crunchy roll (both delicious but too much for me to finish, and I can put away a lot of sushi) & Dustin got a crawfish roll and two other spicy rolls I didn't pay much attention to. It all came to a little over $40.

Completely stuffed, we drove to the ginormous Borders Bookstore on Magazine. It's seriously huge- have you ever seen a bookstore with an escalator in it? I have! We bought some coffee and purchased several books (and added more to our future reading lists) for our upcoming flights to and from Ireland. I also got an Andy Warhol-style Wizard of Oz bookmark, which I like more and more the more I look at it.

Then, being able to be spontaneous with our temproary freedom, we went to the Avenue. When I was growing up, my old fashioned parents- normally great instillers of abstinence- would dole out the Wild Turkey for what ailed us like it was NyQuil. So in keeping with tradition I ordered a shot of Jameson with an Orange juice back to help rid my system once and for all of whatever bug I caught back in Texas. It seemed to be working so well, I had another.

And that's when things picked up. When I was out of town, Dustin and a friend checked out a bar in the French Quarter called The Dungeon. He said it definitely lived up to it's name, red walls, secret passages and all, so I had to see it. But they, like Sushi Brother's, were closed. So instead we parked a few blocks off Bourbon and went to Jean Lafittes. We drank hurricanes and watched E! and had a great time talking about this and that. This particular night there was a man at the piano in the back and he played beautifully.

Once our Jean Lafitte plastic cups were empty, rinsed and stuffed in my messenger bag, we walked down Bourbon, something we hadn't done in ages. The karaoke was in full swing at Fat Cat's, so we settled in with a beer and watched the show. Once we'd had our fill of bad eighties songs, we went to the Boondock Saint and had a great time visiting with the bartender, Tricia. She's so cute, with her curly blonde hair and cheerful personality. It really balances out the Boondock Saints playing on constant repeat behind the bar.

After we bid Tricia farewell and walked back to the car, we were on our way home, until we drove by Le Bon Temp Rouler on Magazine. We'd never been, so we stopped in, and just happened to run into one of Dustin's coworkers (this one a cop). So we visited with him and a few other friendly drinkers at the bar until it was absolutely time to go home and crash.

I seem to remember some McDonald's in there somewhere between that last bar and bed, but if I don't remember it, the calories don't count, so we'll just leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment