Thursday, March 25, 2010

St. Patrick's On Top Of Dorothy

As you might have noticed, there's been a lag in the posting the last week or so. That's easily explained, as we were in Dublin, Ireland for St. Patrick's day. It was amazing! Truly a vacation to remember. But, as this is New In Nola, and not Doing It In Dublin, I won't go into specifics. If you'd like to know anything about the land of my husband's forefathers, don't hesitate to ask!

The Saturday before St. Patrick's Day is a day of much revelry and chaos. We arose bright and early, donned our matching green Saints shirts (aww), fancy novelty beads and flashing shamrock earrings (or at least I did) and headed to the car, already loaded down with bag after bag of beads from Beads By The Dozen. We met with the other float-goers of our group at the EMS HQ and then proceeded to the line-up. I've never ridden in a parade such as this, and was so excited to not only be on a float, but also on the top deck of a float, a float that was Wizard of Oz themed! Lugging the 500 pound bags of beads to said float- not as excited. But once we got everything loaded, our places staked out and our throws stacked neatly, all that was left was to wait. And wait. We were done prepping by 8:30 or 9, and the parade didn't start until about one. So, what is there to do when standing on a giant sack of cabbage while looking at the back of Dorothy's enormous head? Beer, anyone? (Although we also had momosas. Gotta start the day right.)

Things picked up after someone walked to Wal-Mart to pick up a battery operated boombox, and we girls made our final trips to Mojo's for the bathroom (small and dingy, but adequate; a purchase must be made prior to usage). The float behind us was in good spirits, apparently they had some popular local DJ in their float blasting music and shouting out, but I didn't recognize him. Once we got underway, the commotion quickened and you could feel the festive spirit vibrating through the jostling floorboards, through your body and up to your arm as we flung beads at parade goers. I was a bit nervous, not wanting to hit anyone in the face or anything, but I think I got pretty darn good. Good to the point where I'd point at people, then haul back and launch it right into their outstretched hands. That, silly as it may sound, is an awesome feeling. Ah, the power of the parade thrower. People love you! Unless you through them something broken, or hit them in the face (I did happen to hit two children and make them cry- worst feeling ever). The best is when you point, throw, they catch, and then you both smile and thumbs up, or some other shared affirmation of victory. It's a total high. I had a few tiny parachute bunnies, which I tossed to little kids when we were stopped, and they really seemed to love them. I think the best was the flowers- faux carnations of white and green, which I bent the bendable stem on, then wound with beads so they could be thrown farther. I think those were Dustin's favorite, as he seemed to have developed a system of pointing to a pretty girl, point the flower at her, kissing it and then tossing it down to her with a flourish. He was quite popular. It's a good thing he was up there out of reach.

The tables turned at one point, however, when a group of people having a crawfish boil on the neutral ground (the grassy median where the streetcars run) started throwing crawfish to us! One of the girls promised them some good stuff if she got one. She said it was the tastiest one she ever had. Dustin got a potato. I only got crawfish juice in my eye, but it was still funny. After that, we all tried to get the few other folks having crawfish along the way to do the same. They just looked at us like we were weirdos and turned away. Party poopers.

Now being a seasoned thrower, I will divulge a few guidelines if you happen to be in the crowd at the next parade:

1) If you aren't looking at me, hands up, I will not throw to you. I don't know if you're paying attention and I don't want to knock you out.

2) If you are holding a baby, especially one that is too tiny to be out or one that is screaming from all the over-stimulation, I will not throw to you, and may even give you a dirty look, depending on the circumstance.

3) If I have obviously thrown to a child near you, and you grab the beads, I will be wishing many bad karma points at you, as that is the only harm I can do you from atop the float.

4) If you act like a jerk, you will not be getting any beads. And my husband will probably verbally abuse you, as you rightly deserve.

5) If the float is not in motion and I've already thrown you something. Don't ask for more. Also, see number 4.

6) If you are thrown something awesome- a garter, beads with large trinkets attached, appropriately themed rubber duck- at least smile and wave. They're not that expensive, but they're not cheap, either. I singled you out to receive your goody, it's only good manners to acknowledge it.

7) Wear sunscreen.

That last one applies all around. I forwent the sunscreen, and ended up with a farmer's sunburn, as well as sunburns on my earlobes, complete with tiny tan lines from my earring wires. After 9 hours in the sun, I don't know what I expected. Other than a few sunburns, some disturbed equilibriums and someone getting hit in the head with a street light (the light was hurt more than him), all went exceptionally well.

After the parade, we collected our things, dismounted the now-trashed float (the fee we paid covers clean-up, thank goodness for that!), and hitched a ride back to the cars. We hung out in the parking lot of HQ talking to people who were getting off or coming onto work (which I'm sure they appreciated, since they didn't get to attend the event), then headed to Magazine for some food other than liquid hops and potato chips. After searching for the least crowded establishment, no easy feat at all after a parade, we decided on Byblos. I'm so glad we did. The food was phenomenal. And I'm not just saying that because everything tastes awesome after a long day and a few drinks. I got the vegetarian plate, a combination of four tastes of your choosing. I got mousaka, baba ghanuj, hummus and spanakopita. The best Greek food I've ever had. Dustin got the drunken halloumi, which looked really good, but he and his friend Josh finished it before I could get my fork in there. The atmosphere was nice (and the ladies room clean and well appointed). And there were paper table cloths to draw on, so Shelby will be well entertained when we take here there, too. Our bill came to between $35-$40 for our food plus drinks (I had water and a glass of wine, I think Dustin had a beer).

With such a full day behind us, we fell half dead into the sheets about 10:30, feeling like it was 3am. It was a great night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment