Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Red Beans & Rice Ice Cream, Anyone?


On our first official full day as a family in NOLA, we went for lunch at our favorite sushi place, Sekisui Samurai, in the French Quarter. We didn't think about it being Sunday until we were bombarded by a sea of black and gold as we made our way by the Super Dome. The Saints were playing and fans were out in fine style. We even saw some fluffy little pooches dressed in their Sunday (football) best riding in what looked like a tiny black and gold streetcar. It was mayhem, but aside from the tourists who insisted on walking in the street in front of us (Bourbon isn't closed to traffic until night time, hello!), we loved all the craziness. At Samurai's (what we call it since we can't pronounce the first word properly) we got the usual two and three roll lunch special, respectively, and shared our non-spicy, cooked rolls with Shelby. She loves sushi and when she gets her own, likes their snow roll- a mixture of crab meat and who knows what else. But it's very tasty. Dustin got the usual Philadelphia, spicy tuna and crawfish rolls. I had the California and the tuna & avocado. The tuna wasn't my favorite color to see on raw yellow fin, but that's what I get for ordering it on a weekend, right? It was still fresh enough to smell right, so it's all good. The lunch special comes with salad and soup, both yummy, and we got tempura broccoli & sweet potato as well. After indulging in our favorite raw fare, we passed by the extreme tailgaters and got another show on our way back to Uptown.

I was very excited to try out a place we've been meaning to find for a while- the Creole Creamery. Ya know, in the name of research. Shelby had no objections, of course. I like the fun, sort of vintage-y atmosphere. They're known for having all kinds of funky flavors, like lavender honey, black pepper & sweet corn, and the afore mentioned red beans & rice. The flavors, made on site, rotate occasionally and on this day it was gorgonzola and walnut. It was tempting, but I was too chicken to ask for a taste. Shelby got blue cotton candy (the first bright color she saw), Dustin got bananas foster- one of his favorite desserts- and a cup of coffee, and in honor of the Saint's 7-0 record (now 8-0) I got the black & gold crunch. It was fantastic. I forget what all was in it, but I know there were Oreos, chocolate chips and chicory ice cream. We all got one scoop in a cone and barely finished. Trust me, one is enough, the scoops are huge. They also have plenty of special treats, like parfaits, ice cream sodas, sorbets and sundaes. There's also the famous Tchoupitoulas (Chop-a-tool-a's)*- made with eight scoops of your choosing and eight toppings, whipped cream and cherries. It looks good on TV, but I'm sure it's quite intimidating in person. If you want to give it a try, there's the reward of being on their wall of fame if you finish it without help. Good luck with that! Even though it was a bit chilly out for ice cream, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

I hope all our adventures are as tasty as Sunday's. With all the great restaurants in town- some mere blocks away from where I sit in my living room at this very moment- I doubt finding good eats will be a problem.

*Because I was, and still am, embarrassed to attempt pronouncing some of the words so common locally, I'm going to do my best at offering phonetic pronunciations for you good people when I can. Hope it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment