Thursday, November 12, 2009

Coffee at the Moon


Yesterday after running some stuff to Dustin at the EMS HQ, Shelby and I went for a stroll. We have a beautiful street. I'm not sure how long it is, but it's at least a few miles. The homes to either side have lots of character, and range from the modest to the majestic. Nearest us the huge oak trees line the avenue and meet overhead to shade the road in many spots. I absolutely love it.


We just took off walking, enjoying the scenery, the cars going by, the unique and beautiful homes and their courtyards & gardens. Several had spectacular roses out front. We passed by a house not far from ours where the bottom tenant must be an artist of some kind. I was surprised that the air outside smelled heavily of some kind of perfume, something similar to my mom's. We weren't peeping, but as we passed I could see canvases and paint and all manner of creative clutter inside, and someone had drawn a large picture on the sidewalk with crayon, although I doubt it was a child. Very neat. About five blocks down we came to a corner with cafes, shops and an art gallery. We decided to pop into the Cafe Luna for a drink. A Victorian home-turned-coffee shop, this quaint little place is just adorable. Big trees in the yard, tall covered porch, apothecary jars full of goodies and the mantle being used to hold the flavored syrups- I'm a fan. Shelby got chocolate milk and I got a small cafe au lait. The $4.25 wasn't too bad, and she did make the chocolate milk right there when we ordered... Maybe I'm just a tightwad. The rest of the prices seemed Starbucks-ish, but I guess that's just what fancy coffee costs now. There was a bulletin board full of ads and announcements, and the shelf holding the free add-ins and lids also housed a ton of local literature and papers about art galleries, bands and events. We sat on the porch enjoying our beverages and watching the 6th grade lovebirds cuddle at one of the yard tables (which was slightly more nostalgic and cute than gag-o-rific PDA) in the afternoon sun.


When we'd finished we made our way across the street and began the walk home. Not much was different on the return, although the road workers (not really sure what they were doing to begin with) had gone home. As we walked past one house a little old lady stepped out of her door and asked if Shelby was cold. I replied no, she's hot natured (it wasn't really all that chilly, anyway). "Oh, well I'm cold for her! I suppose it's the grandma in me," was her response and she told me how she'd been waiting for the plumber all day, but feared the construction had scared him off. We chatted a few minutes more before getting on our way. When we made it home, we'd been gone a little over an hour even though it seemed like it had only been a few minutes. Shelby chalked some more on the front walkway and then we went inside to make supper.


It was a truly wonderful day and I hope we have many more like it! As I mentioned, there are several businesses on that corner, and further down the street. In order to give us something to look forward to on our walks, Shelby and I are going to visit only one a day (unless we need caffeine). Moderation is the key. Spread it out to prolong the novelty. I can't wait to see what we discover next.

No comments:

Post a Comment