Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Anybody Else Thinking Sushi?

Yesterday we took trip to Metarie to the fish store. Dustin has invested in a Nano Cube- a saltwater tank that mimics a natural reef and ecosystem. Neptune needed some more water and to browse the ever-changing variety of corals, anemones, fish and other sea creatures the store offers. I'd never been, Shelby was excited to see all the fishies. I figured the tanks would be interesting enough, but the things they had in there I hadn't even seen on Discovery, let alone in a home tank. There was even a sandy colored sting ray with vibrant blue spots. The diversity displayed in the many tanks was amazing. All colors of the rainbow, pulsing in the gelatinous skin of an anemone or streaking across a fish's scales. It was quite the sight.

We got our 10 gallons of freshly salted water (I have no idea exactly what they do to it), some brine shrimp and krill to feed our little buddies, and a few new friends. I've been wanting a serpent starfish ever since I saw a YouTube video of one devouring a snack just like an octopus. Dustin also got me an adorable little purple and white sea urchin, who insists on adorning himself with shells he finds on the sandy bottom of the tank. Dustin picked up some flat, neon colored, glow in the dark mushrooms and a peach colored anemone with finger like fronds it uses to snatch food from the water. I never thought I'd spend $121 on fish. At least not the kind I couldn't eat. I seriously wanted a sushi fix after being in that place. Is that wrong? Instead, we went home so Dustin could get ready for work and I made creole omletes with crawfish cream sauce.

Once we got our new aquatic friends in their new home and Dustin off to work, Shelby and I walked down the street to Green Parrot Nursery to look at the Spring arrivals. They're still constructing some new structures, but they've made a huge concrete fountain that's home to several huge koi fish. We looked at the blueberry plants and mire lemon trees, and decided just to pick up some plain terra cotta pots for the plants we already have (since the Wal-Mart doesn't carry them anymore). I'm hoping to walk down to the hobby store next to get some acrylic paint so Shelby and I can unleash our creativity on the plain pots. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment