Thursday, April 22, 2010

... Or, "Jeffe"

Very little rivals being able to get all froo-froo, walking out the front door and walking to your evening hotspot in either convenience or coolness. Laura, my beloved bad influence, and I walked a mere block and a half to Frankie & Johnnie's for a seasonal treat of Abita Strawberry and boiled crawfish. My first of the season! Though the next batch isn't far behind.

Then we walked another block or so to Dos Jefes. Every time Dustin and I pass by, we say "Or, 'Jeff,' " because we're nerds, but also because we saw an episode of a sitcom once where a guy approached a fellow Spanish student and introduced himself by saying "Hi, I'm Jeff, or, 'Jefe'." Which, of course, does not mean Jeff. Actually, there's much debate amongst the locals as to whether it is pronounced "hefes" or "Jeffs". Laura has chosen "Jefays", which works for me, since the way you say the name doesn't change what they do, and they do it well. Steve, the friendly and knowledgeable bartender, was pleased to answer our many questions about the wine and the cigars, and spent a fair amount of time hand squeezing limes for their margaritas (they don't use any artificial mixes). We enjoyed good conversation, two glasses of white each- one a Toscano, the other I couldn't pronounce but was good- and two lady-sized cigars, one of which was flavored with vanilla, while the slightly larger also involved some exotic spices. We just happened to pick the one and only night on the calender that didn't feature live music. From the pool tables in the back to the courtyard on the side, it seems a great place to take out of town guests for a relaxed good time. My only complaint is the bathroom. Four words: shower curtains for doors. 'Nuff said.

We also patronized the Brothers Three on Magazine. A dive, yes, but as long as you don't mind the crummy bathroom and the friendly geezer telling you about the time he saw Garth Brooks shot out of a cannon, it's not a bad place to slum it.

Rounding out the night, as she and I often do, with burgers at J'Anita's, we felt quite satisfied. We also tried the mini tacos, an excellent after-drinks finger food. Covered in melted cheddar, they were greasy, but so, so good.

With the exception of thinking I lost my debit card, searching the sidewalks and calling to have it canceled only to find I'd left it at home, it was a delightful evening out in my favorite neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment