Saturday, April 17, 2010

Margaritas & Shopping

-Is quite possibly one of the most marvelous combinations ever.

Since moving to New Orleans, we don't eat Mexican food nearly as much as we used to. There's just not a Taqueria on every corner like there is in most of Texas. But when we need to get that queso fix, we know where to go. Nacho Mama's (we'll find another South-of-the-border eatery one of these days, but there's no rush, we love this place). I won't dwell, because if you've ever read this blog before you have a 42% chance of having heard about it (food for thought: 86% of all statistics are made up on the spot). The meal was quite acceptable: tacos for Dustin, taco salad with ground beef for me, mini chimis for the little one and some jumbo shrimp and steak fajitas for our friend. It was his birthday, so I decided to celebrate with a couple margaritas. Only two, it was one in the afternoon, after all.

After stuffing ourselves silly, Dustin and his buddy headed to the aquarium store. When they were there, the fish people had to run them out, as they had to make a delivery of some sort of special black rocks to the filming site of The Green Lantern. Ryan Reynolds has been in town for a while shooting, though I'm not sure if he's still here. It's probably for the best- he was in serious danger of being kidnapped. You win this round, Scarlett Jo.

Shelby and I decided to walk through some of the shops there on Magazine. American Apperal wasn't anything special, and their stuff was a little high. Then we went to Tomato and looked around, followed by the shoe store Elle (need a job? They're looking), and Hemline. I was kind of surprised how sparse their selections were. Not so surprised to find nothing bigger than tiny looking Larges. I've been dying to check out the Buffalo Exchange, so we did. They have a great collection of previously owned yet meticulously cared for clothing and accessories (and lamps). A friend once inquired about bringing some clothes to them and said the guidelines were quite stringent, which is good for me, I'd rather not have unidentified stains on my new-to-me clothing. The prices vary, some high, some low. I found not one, but two cute things in my size after only looking for a few minutes, a $7 pencil skirt and a $14 paisley printed mini dress. Shelby chose the blue dress over the skirt, as I only had a $20 on me and couldn't decide. The quirky staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome (some sales associates on Magazine can be a bit condescending or quiet) It came to just over $15 with tax. Since we were headed back to the car, I declined the bag, and was given a 5 cent token: When you don't take one of their bags, you get this token and are able to put it into one of three local non-profit slots, then the Buffalo Exchange will donate that 5 cents to the chosen charity. We picked Hands On New Orleans, since I hope to work with them in the future. The Buffalo Exchange has been enthusiastically added to my return trip list.

No comments:

Post a Comment