Friday, December 18, 2009

Hunting for Treasure on Magazine Street

Dustin needed a haircut and got a recommendation for a place on Magazine Street, so Shelby and I decided to walk around while he was getting a snip. I've wanted to go into the Occasional Housewife ever since we drove by it the first time. I love the retro housewife in their logo that takes up most of the window. She's quite sassy. They specialize in household organization, offer consulting services and have a large selection of fun and functional things to help make your life easier (or at least your desk a little more interesting). There was some welding or grinding going on in the back room, I saw sparks flying before one of the sales ladies closed the door. I don't know what was going on back there, but I think I like it. They also have an adjoining storefront filled with things they've 'decluttered' out of clients homes. Score! They may not have wanted that old ceramic peacock or Kitchenaid microwave cookbook from 1984, but someone does. And that someone is me. While I didn't get either of those little gems, I did get a nice demitasse cup and saucer and a tiny vintage spoon, to make my faux cafe' au lait, as well as a candy thermometer and a big speckled gumbo pot for Dustin. It only cost $5 for the lot. While the spanking new organizational tools are more pricey, the other-woman's-trash is super cheap, which makes it that much more fun.

After our errands, and walking by one of the many mobile movie sets out and about right now (no one was there, they weren't going to resume shooting until that night- I don't know what movie they were shooting, but I am going to see Ryan Reynolds while he's here...), we went for supper at Joey K's. My favorite food host, Guy Fieri, ate there on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives once, though I don't remember the episode. The seat-yourself place is covered in those colorful hand-painted "Be Nice or Leave" signs with different sayings. The waitstaff was friendly and the atmosphere good, nice and relaxed. Shelby and I shared the seafood platter (shrimp, lots of catfish, oysters and fries) and Dustin got the shrimp platter & a beer. French bread is available to those who ask. It was very good. I usually don't like catfish due to the dark slimy belly section, but there was none of that on our plate, which I loved. It was a good deal, we both got stuffed for $15. I can't remember how much Dustin's was, but it was less than mine and Shelby's. Very worth it. I can't wait to go back and give the Fried artichoke hearts and Shrimp Magazine. They sounded splendid.

Photos coming, as soon as I learn how to upload them from my fancy new phone...

No comments:

Post a Comment