Friday, December 4, 2009

What Is Something That's Not Your Mother's?


Nacho Mama's, boom!

Alright, alright. That was lame. But you know what's totally not lame? The food at Nacho Mama's on Magazine Street. Last night Shelby and I went there to grab a bite. We got a table off to the side of the bar (she wanted to sit at the bar, I promised her in 17 years we would). The sweet little waitress gave Shelby some cool triangular crayons and a big color sheet, so dinner was off to a good start. We ordered chips (served in a little galvanized bucket) and quacamole, then Mama's taco plate for me and a beef taco for Shelby. Sooooo good. When ordering Mama's tacos, you choose the outside (hard or soft corn, flour or wheat tortilla) and the inside (beef, chicken, steak, shrimp, etc with cheese). It comes wrapped in foil on a plate full of goodies: black olives, jalapenos, pico de gallo, lettuce, rice and either black or refried beans. Yum, yum, yum. Shelby just had a plain beef taco (the way she likes it) and some of my beans and rice. The ground beef is that special, good Mexican restaurant beef that just has black pepper, salt and love in it. You know what I'm talking about. We had water to drink and bootleg lemonade (you know, where you get lemon in your water and use the sugar on the table to make lemonade, rather than pay$1.50 for it). The Polar Express happened to be on the TV closest to our table, so we enjoyed watching that, with me occassionally reading the subtitles to Shelby, while we dined. With tip it came to $19. A very stisfactory price for a great meal. Without guacamole, it would have been about $14 with tax and tip, which we may do next time, as we had a lot of food left over. It made a great breakfast this morning.

Dustin and I went there last week (I just forgot to write about it) and had a similarly fine experience. The margarita's were on special, so Dustin had several, while I drank my weight in Coke (it was the "morning after" for me, I'm never drinking again, BTW). We sat in a corner table/booth and watched all the people with dogs walk by. At the table outside the window, sat a young white guy in a business suit with a Grizzly Adams beard and a huge head of blonde dread locks. There were a few stripes of green, and a pair of sunglasses were lodged near the back. I wondered if he knew they were in there. He was having lunch with a guy in a bike (as in bicycle) outfit, another business man and a guy in normal jeans-and-chucks attire. I love random New Orleans people on the street. But back to the food. We got the three dips- guacamole, queso blanco and salsa- with chips to start. Good stuff. Dustin got the jerk chicken baked burrito which was super grande (and super tasty he said), and I got the taco salad with steak. It was really good. The steak was good but too spicy for me, so I picked it out and gave it to Dustin. Of course, we had plenty to pack into a to-go box (again, tasty breakfast for me!). I think it came to about $40 or so. I'm pretty sure it was because of the 28 margaritas Dustin had. But I was very well pleased with our meal.

If for no other reason, eat there so when people ask "Where'd you go for lunch?" you can say "Nacho Mama's!"

That would be much funnier if you could convey inflection on a computer screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment