Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tarrying in Treme


Today we ran some errands of EMS importance (namely, picking up Dustin's regulation weekend polo for work). We girls were starving so we headed down Canal and to Decatur to find Napoleon House, a restaurant I was very excited to try after reading about on Urban Spoon. But, being me, I couldn't remember the address and our GPS, Francesca, is no mind reader. So, we tried another place Dustin has wanted to visit for some time- Willie Mae's Scotch House.

We'd looked for it before to no avail. This time around we found it. It's in a neighborhood in the Treme (treMAY) area of New Orleans, not terribly far from I-10. On the inside it's the classic little hole in the wall, white-washed walls and random wall hangings, with a limited menu and a devout local following. The fried chicken is the specialty of the house, and has been voted Best Fried Chicken by several entities, both local and nationwide.

Now, I don't want to step on any toes. Far be it from me to discredit a time-honored New Orleans tradition, especially one founded by a cute little old lady that opened her doors immediately after Katrina and served sandwiches to passers-by. But. I was not impressed. The chicken was not awful. The crust was, I'd say, unique, and a bit spicy. But it was kind of.... I'm not sure. I do know it was greasy. Very. So if you like that kind of chicken, by all means patronize Willie Mae's. For three pieces of chicken (of the kitchen's choosing) and one side it's $10 (plus a $1 fee to share a plate, if you're so inclined). I got fries and Dustin got red beans and rice. He said it was very good. He also got a plate with a breast and two wings, I a thigh, wing and drumstick. For $20.81, I feel it wasn't that great (even though the girl didn't charge us the $1 split plate fee). After picking off all the crust- my favorite part, very sad about that- there wasn't much chicken left. Shelby and I were still hungry when we left, so we went to Creole Creamery to fill in the gap (I got the black & gold crunch again, but tried the lavender honey and am so getting that next time).

Also, if you find yourself at Willie Mae's and are planning on getting your grub on, be sure to bring cash. It's all they take. Good to know. Dustin had to run and find an ATM as they swept and put up chairs with us sitting there feeling slightly awkward (they close at 3pm). But the servers were nice, so they didn't say anything about it.

Next time, I hope we can find Napoleon's.

To view people talking about their experiences- good and bad- at Willie Mae's, click here.
And of course, this is not the chicken I had for lunch (at least I don't think so...). Luckily, our friends put my camera in the mail this week, and I'll be able to post actual photos of our adventures taken by me, not random, somewhat-related images from Photobucket, very soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love The Creole Creamery!
    http://eatingtheroad.wordpress.com/2009/12/18/creole-creamery/

    ReplyDelete