Saturday, October 3, 2009

Almost Houma

So.... We've decided to pack our bags for our favorite city. Since the first time we made our way to the French Quarter on Halloween of 2006, we've been madly in love with New Orleans. So much so that we made the trip more than 15 times. Only this time, we won't be coming back. Well, not after just a few days at the Place d'Armes, anyway. We've decided to make the Big Easy our home. It won't be the first time I've lived outside the Great State of Texas, but it will be the first time I've lived so far away from my mama. Not an easy thing to do (or break to said mother), but if nothing else, I expect it will be a grand adventure. If nothing else, it will be a new one.

What could drag me away from the Lone Star State? More pay for half the hours. Not for me, but for my dear hubby, a paramedic who's taken a position with the City of New Orleans. What will I be doing? Other than the same old gig of housewife and stay-at-home mom, I'm not quite sure yet. Write this blog, I suppose. I thought it would be a good way to keep my mind occupied being disconnected from friends, family and all things familiar. But it will be good- a change of scenery is always nice, and NOLA is in no way lacking distraction. I intend to experience all I can; visit every shop, restaurant and hang-out within walking distance and beyond; and chronicle it all here for you, my adoring fans. Or at least, the bored and literate. I'm not picky.

But we have yet to make the move. We anticipate the beginning of next month to switch our mailing address. But I wanted to go ahead and establish this blog, an investment in my sanity's future. And I also get paranoid, thinking that as soon as an idea pops into my head, I have to jump on it, lest some mind reader somewhere steal it. Wanted to make sure my New in Nola name wasn't taken. Neurotic, maybe. But I got it, didn't I? :)

So stay tuned. Once we make our way to the banks of the Mississippi (is that not the longest word ever?), I intend to update regularly with goings-on in my new little world. And you don't want to miss out on the fun.

....... Also, I'd like to say that we are not moving to Houma, but to the Uptown area of NOLA (one of my stipulations of being ripped from Southeast Texas), misleading though it may be. But it sounded like "Almost Home", and Houma is relatively near New Orleans as I understand it. It's some sort of language thing... a pun maybe? Yes? No? Frazzled as I am, I believe a little slack is in order. Thank you, you're too kind. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment