Sunday, October 11, 2009

Texas Towel Holders and Woo-Woos

The inevitable move is creeping up on me. Not very well, as I'm aware of it's approach, but every now and then I forget for a moment, and then it jumps out and goes "Surprise!" before settling back in. For instance, a few moments ago I was watching Mythbusters and a commercial came on for a movie called The Men Who Stare at Goats- which sounds terribly amusing- that comes out on November 6th. I immediately thought "I want to see that!" and then remembered that on November 6th, we will have moved to NOLA, and that I don't know where the movie theatre is, and it made me sad. 

It's the little things that get you.

But I've been thinking for a few days that compiling a list of the things I'm not going to miss about Texas might help me embrace the future a bit more.

  1. Ridiculous Rednecks- Funny that this makes the list, as I was quite the sh*t-kicker in my high school days, even driving an enormous truck (my beloved rusty-white '81 one ton, four door, four wheel drive pick-up with a giant gas tank in the bed that I had to measure gas levels with a yard stick to see if I need to refuel) dubbed the Redneck Limo. But since leaving the woods, I've moved on. I still have a soft spot for my blue collar days, and the friends I left behind, but the ones who take it just that liiiiitle bit too far, I will not be missing.
  2. Woo-Woos- Maybe they have them in the Crescent City as well, but in the Piney Woods area, they're quite prevalent. Yes, firefighters & paramedics are the absolute shizzle (I married one of the latter, didn't I?), and yes, volunteer firefighters and EMTs are honor-worthy citizens, but if you're a volunteer who donates their time in a rural area with one small flame situation a month or only the occasional minor head injury, you do not get to go around saying "I'm a firefighter/paramedic!", get a tattoo of the crest or caduceus on your bicep and have 12 decals- and red flood lights- on your truck. You just don't. And you irritate me. 
  3. Texas Flag Bathroom Accessories- I think of all the flags in the union, ours is the coolest. And not just because it was once a national flag (of the Republic of Texas). I think it's pretty. But. I don't care for the aisle at Wal-Mart with all the ceramic and plastic Texas flag soap holders, soap dispensers (does anyone need both???), tooth brush holders, shower curtains, shower curtain hangers, bath mats, toilet seat covers, toilet brush covers, night lights, etc, etc. And the bathrooms that are decked out in all the flagness.... gag-ola.
  4. The Ignorant Bias Against Anything New- There are idiots everywhere, but I truly hate the back-woods prejudice about citified or "Northern" or new age or whatever they call things that are unlike what they've known for 100 years. You know- recycling, yoga, the Green movement.... all those groovy things that are starting to become popular. Fear of the unkown and a need to cling to what your grandpa did are understandable, but when they're hurting the ability for good, then adjust! I'm no hippie, or activist (although I do refer to myself as slightly crunchy), but I've evolved. Get with the program, or at least don't spit tobacco juice at it! Like with the woo-woos, I'm sure our destination has it's fair share of the dibilitatingly old fashioned, but I don't think it will be all up in my face. Especially in the City, which seems to have a good amount of bohemians and natural advocates.
That's all I can think up right now. I'll post more as they come to me. And I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, as that was not my intention. I feel like a turn coat, dissing my beloved home state like that, but maybe it will help with the transition, ya know? I think she understands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment