Thursday, October 22, 2009

Shh.....

.... Don't tell, but I'm shamelessly using updating the blog as an excuse to not actually do any packing. I went to Mom Chat at the Barking Dog put on each month by the Whole Mothering Center despite the torrential rain we woke up to this morning, as it will be one of the last times I get to see playgroup people before we leave. Ten more days! I can't believe it. Next week is the playgroup's Halloween party, and in honor of my departure, we're bringing Creole food to share. It gives me the warm fuzzies to know that my leaving will be integrated with one of everyone's favorite holiday get-togethers. I'm thinking fish creole for my dish. I think that's what the dish I'm thinking of is called. It's like jambalaya, but more tomato-y and with chunks of fish rather than sausage (I'm not so much a fan of sausage, especially integrated into a dish... I hope this doesn't interfere with my assimilation into my new culture....).

And (kind of) speaking of Halloween parties, I'm so excited that we're going to not one but two parties this year! One of which is tomorrow night. Each of the medical cliques (EMS companies, different ER's, etc) each has their own party, naturally, and we'll be going to the party with the ER staff of St. Elizabeth's tomorrow night, and then Beaumont EMS's next week. Skibby! I didn't think we'd be doing anything this year. We didn't really last year, because we were in a similar moving situation. We just went out and had a few drinks (a few each at a few different places- I wore new slingbacks, and ended up falling numerous times and woke up with a twisted ankle and a sprained ankle... two separate ankle injuries... Hopefully this year will be better). Because I was so taken by surprise, I have nothing planned. I think I'm going to throw together a pirate outfit. That and the vampire, they always come through in a pinch. The last time I dressed up, two years ago, I was a pirate (I made Shelby and I matching costumes), but this one will be more gypsy-esque. I have a cool layered wrap skirt I wear a lot (my "hippie" skirt) and a corset to throw into the mix. I specifically didn't pack my high brown boots for the occasion. Dustin was like "Why do you need a pair of flip-flops, a pair of tennis shoes and a pair of boots to get you through the next two weeks?" Um, fashion. Hello. With the fishnets I haven't worn yet, and my mom's expensive, elaborate pirate hat, I'm gonna look goooood.

All in all, I'm very excited. It's nice to have something to look forward to that doesn't involve packing, planning or worrying. Dustin says he'll start dressing up once we're in NOLA since more people do around there and there are actually places to go dressed up. The first time we went was for Halloween, and it was a blast.

I totally plan to get schnockered tomorrow night, BTW. Let's see what kind of deals I can make at my garage sale bright and early Saturday morning after partying with the nurses all night! The nurses are crazy. It's gonna be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment